Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Book Review

A Drunkard's Path
By Clare O'Donohue

Series:  A Someday Quilts Mystery Book #2
Pages:  259
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Rating: ****

   Clare O' Donohue combines two of my favorite things:  quilts and murder.  Not real murder, the fictional kind that takes place in a small New York town.  This is the second book in the Someday Quilt Mystery Series and the second book in the series I have read.  As usual I am not reading them in order.  Thankfully, it seems I can still read book 1 without knowing whodunit.
   A Drunkard's Path, centers around a group of artist and quilters.  The main characters are a close knit quilters of different ages.  This group breaks the image of sweet little old ladies sitting around sewing and baking cookies.  They actually remind me of several ladies in my Quilt guild.  Beyond breaking preconceived notions about quilters, the book also explains the process of quilting.  A newbie to the quilt world will not be left in the dark about terminology or technique.
   Clare weaves a rich tale.  As I read, I could see Archers Rest and the quilt shop.  It is fast paced and an easy read.  At the same time the writing is smart.  She doesn't talk down to the reader or pretend to be hard boiled.  Like most mysteries I read, I was clueless.  I wasn't totally surprised by the ending, I just had someone else pegged!  But that's the way I like it.  I get disappointed if I figure it out before the sleuth. 
   I Love cozies. A  Drunkard's Path is a great mystery.  Check it out today.
 And yes, it is also the name of a quilt block.
    -Caren                                                                                  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely cosy - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out