Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday Girl Scouts...

Here Come the Girl Scouts
by. Shana Corey
Illustrated by. Hadley Hooper

genre: children's picture book
pages: 40 pages
rating ****

First, I must say I am a former Girl Scout and I am the mother of two Girl Scouts.  So I am biased!
Oh...I hope you have bought your cookies ;)

Here Comes the Girl Scouts, is a picture book about Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of the Girl Scouts.  Each page describes Julia and how she started the scouts.  Each page also carries a quote form the original handbook.

Here Come the Girl Scouts!: The Amazing All-True Story of  Juliette 'Daisy' Gordon Low and Her Great AdventureI loved this book.  The pictures are wonderful.  They show Juliette as she grows up and how she was different form most of the girls of the times.  Other pictures show Girl Scouts playing, camping, and having fun.  It shows the true purpose of the scouts, which is not to sell cookies, but to turn out brave, intelligent , socially minded women.  I get a kick out of pictures of the original badges, dairy maid.  I also really enjoyed reading the bio in the back of the book that goes into more detail of Juliette's live.

I highly recommend this book to grownups and kids alike.  If you think Girl Scouts are only about cookies, read the book.

1 comment:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

i was a girl scout and then a leader when my girls were little..will pick this up :) thanks!