Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Time to Plant your garden...

The Goodbye Cancer Garden
Janna Matthies
illustrator: Kristi Valiant

genre: picture book
pages: 32
rating: *****

I came across The Goodbye Cancer Garden while cruising the local library. I am so glad I did.

The Goodbye Cancer GardenThe Goodbye Cancer Garden is about a family who plants a garden after the mother is diagnosed with cancer.  It is a coping mechanism for the kids and away to count down to a time when she should be well.

I loved this book.  I have family members with cancer and have wondered how my kids would react to such news.  This is a great book for not only talking about cancer and its treatments, but also about hope.  It takes a difficult subject and handles it with care, and at the same time it is cheerful.

The illustrations are beautiful.  The family is bright and cheerful.  The kids are adorable.  Most importantly the mom rocks her bald head!

A truly uplifting book about a difficult subject.  A must read.

No comments: