Friday, December 30, 2011

Col. Mustard in the library with the ....

The Herring in The Library
L.C. Tyler

Genre:  mystery, cozy, British
Series:  Ethelred and Elsie Mystery
Pages:  225
Rating: ****

I love the game Clue.  For a while it was the favorite game of my oldest.  We played it all the time, she had to be Scarlet and I was Peacock.  She even have a birthday party surrounding the game.  Such fun.  When I came across The Herring in the Library, I was thrilled by the Clue influence.

herring in the libraryThe Herring in the Library, follows a crime writer, Ethelred, and his agent, Elsie, as they try to solve the death of an old chum named 'Shagger'.  In true Clue style it takes place during a dinner party.  Suspects abound.

I loved this book.  First, let me say I don't know why they call Clue...Cluedo.  That said I loved the book.  It was funny.  The book is written from the perspective of both Ethelred and Elsie.  The type is different for each person, so pay attention.  Ethelred is, according to Elsie, a third rate crime writer.  He's also not to sharp with  observation.  Elsie is loud, opinionated and fond of sweets.  The two of them together must solve the perfect mystery of a murder in a locked room.  Evey person at dinner seems guilty and the victim wasn't that nice.  It's great.  It's a fast read and witty.  It's a wonderful incarnation of a favorite children's game.  Oh, did I mention it was very funny!

- Caren

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Ohhh this books sounds good!

P/S I'm your new follower

Len Tyler said...

Hi, thanks for the lovely review. Just to say, I don't know why we call it Cluedo in the UK either! I'm really pleased you enjoyed it anyway.

Len

(L C Tyler)