Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Agatha Raisin strikes agian...

Cover image for Agatha Raisin: There Goes The Bride by M.C. Beaton
There Goes the Bride
by M.C. Beaton
Genre: cozy mystery
Series:  Agatha Raisin
Pages:  277
Rating: ****
   There Goes the Bride is the 20th book (gasp) in the Agatha Raisin Mystery Series.  I picked this book to go along with the mini challenge at Goodreads.  This is the second Agatha Raisin book I have read.
   Before I get into the review, let's give a synopsis of the book.  Agatha finds herself invited to her ex-husbands wedding, to a much younger woman.  Before the bride makes it up the aisle she is murdered.  Of course Agatha has to solve the crime, bringing her own life close to danger...more than once.
   Let me set the record straight.  I love British mysteries.  I spent many hours this summer watching more than a few on DVD this summer.  I love to read them as well.  That stated I must also admit, I was not thrilled about the first Agatha Raisin book that I read, wasn't planning on another.  I was thrilled to change my mind after reading this book.
   If you haven't read an Agatha book let me warn you, she is feisty.  She smokes, she is vain, jealous, and very competitive.  She also seems to have a bad habit for falling for the wrong man.  My guilty pleasure is her iconic curse, which I won't print here (family friendly blog).  Agatha is smart, the books are well written, and the characters are interesting.
   The unusual thing about these books is, the mystery is not solved quickly.  A lot of cozies tidy up the mystery quickly...unrealistically quickly.  Beaton's books cover months and Agatha and her team work on the case, get sidetracked or stalled, and then find a new clue which leads to the solving of the case.  It's not neat, the sleuths get into plenty of trouble.  Which also make it seem more real.
   If you are looking for a lonely (sometimes), chain smoking, and loud sleuth give Agatha Raisin a try.  She is a breath of fresh air.
- Caren

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sounds like a cute fun read!

And I love mystery stories, thanks for reviewing it and bringing it to my attention.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com