Monday, October 3, 2011

Short Stories

The Civilized  World
by Susi Wyss

Genre: Fiction, short stories, novel
Pages: 226
Rating:  ***
Released: 2011

   I have read nothing but mysteries for months.  I am in the mood for something different.  So, this weekend when I went to the library I headed straight for the new releases.  I came home with only two mysteries.
The Civilized World Susi Wyss Cover   The Civilized World is something different.  It is a collection of short stories, that also forms a novel.  The stories follow a group of women in Africa and one in America.  The tales weave the women together, mixing them  and moving them around.  It allows the reader into a glimpse of a modern Africa, through the eyes of the native born, recent white arrivals, and long term white ex-pats. 
   When I picked the book out I didn't really read the blurb on the back cover.  I skimmed it and remember it said something about a woman opening a beauty parlor in Africa.  That sounds interesting.  After reading the first story I wasn't sure I was going to finish the book.  But I was curious about the next story, so I read on.  I'm glad I did.
  The stories are bittersweet.  They don't leave you depressed, but like a good blues song they leave a lot to think about.  They actually remind me of southern folk tales.  They are rich in character and each has a nugget of truth about life.
   This is not the type of book I normally read, but I did enjoy it.
-Caren

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks for the comment you left me on Book Blogs about my review on Anne of Green Gables!

If you haven't done it already, you can follow me at www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com

I am also now following you.

Thanks,

Megan.