Monday, January 9, 2012

A Dog Tale...or Tail.....

Ok I have quite a few book review coming up.  It's amazing how people send you a book if you are willing to give an honest review.  I'm shocked.  I love to read.  It's just so much fun.  Today's book is one of those books.

"Lucky"
By Craig Inglis
Illustrated by Richard Kinsey

Genre: Children's Picture Book
Pages: 36
Rating:  ****
I was provided a copy of Lucky by the writer.  This review is an honest review consisting of my opinion of the book.

Hot off the presses!  I don't think I've ever read a book this new.
First let me get his out of the way.  Why are all 3 legged dogs named Lucky?  Okay, I just needed to say that.

Lucky is the tale of a man who wants a dog.  After searching he finds a cute little terrier he names 'Lucky'.  The man teaches Lucky tricks and they have lots of fun.  Until Lucky is hit by a car.  The accident causes Lucky to lose a leg. The man loves Lucky and ....

I don't want to spoil the ending for you, but I will tell you there is a happy ending!  I pulled this book out of the mailbox this afternoon and promptly sat down on the sofa with the kids to read it.  They are 7 and 9.  Both enjoyed the story and laughed at the pictures.  Lucky is a cute little dog and the drawings give him a fun personality.  The story is about overcoming adversity, especially a disability.  A great message for kids who are learning to deal with difficult situations.  The illustrations are funny with little details added.  For instance the doggy doctor has the title of 'Cool dog doc' on his scrubs. 

I enjoyed the book.  It was a simple and sweet.  The kids laughed as we read it, bonus points for that.

Happy Reading
Caren

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds like a lovely read for a young child. Another one for my not quite one year old granddaughters’ collection!

Yanting Gueh said...

Oh good, good, it's not a sad ending! I always fear reading a children's book that leaves us in tears and regrets. The illustration featured here looks lovely.


Claudine
http://www.carrysoffbooks.com/blog.html